Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Rollin Thomas

Rollin Thomas, a very good friend, teacher and mentor passed away from cancer last month. Rollin was a very big influence on a lot of children's book writers and illustrators, including me. I took the class he co-taught with Doug Keith at Pratt a few years ago and learned so much in such a short time. Rollin is responsible for me getting into teaching. When he knew he couldn't teach anymore he recommended me to Pratt and then talked me into it. I will always thank him for that and for his incredibly generous spirit, impish humor and his big, booming laugh. Rollin always signed his correspondence with "Be well. Create lots." That's a pretty darned good philosophy. SCBWI is working on a fitting legacy to Rollin, so stay tuned for that while you stay well and create lots. Farewell, Rollin.

Rollin painting the set of "Beatrix Potter"


No comments:

Post a Comment