The Next Big Thing got started in Australia to bring awareness to authors & illustrators and their current work. Thank you to the mega-talented Maggie Smith for tagging me!
I will answer some questions about my upcoming book, Ozzie and the Art Contest, which is coming out THIS JULY!, then pass the Q & A on to five other creators of children’s books.
1) What is the title of your next book?
Ozzie and the Art Contest
2) Where did the idea come from for the book?
I submitted to a contest that I thought was a sure thing and it wasn’t. I was amazed at how bummed and angry I was, so I wrote a story about it.
3) What genre does your book fall under?
Children’s picture book
4) What actors would you choose to play the part of your characters in a movie rendition?
Ozzie – Rico Rodriquez
Miss Cattywhompus – Loretta Devine
Bernie (Bernadette) – Kelly Macdonald
Doorstop – Jack Black
Rasher – Jordan Nagai
Principal Polkadot – Tim Robbins
Bubs and Goldy – Bruce Willis and Katy Sagal
5) What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
Ozzie is a very good artist and badly wants to win the contest, but realizes that’s not really why he makes art.
6) Who is publishing your book?
7) How long did it take you to write the first draft of the manuscript?
About a day. But there were many revisions in Peggy King Anderson’s writing class and many, many more required by my Adored Agent Anna Olswanger.
8) What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
Hamster Huey and the Gooey Kablooie, by Mabel Syrup
9) Who or what inspired you to write this book?
My late, great dog, Max, who could be described as having an indomitable spirit. Or a really hard head.
10) What else about the book might pique the reader's interest?
Ozzie has spunk and doesn’t let little things like rules get him down – for long. He also has some pretty good friends who look out for him and no one can figure out how Miss Cattywhompus’ glasses stay on her nose.
Now, to pass on the love. The Next Big Thing World Tour stops off March 14 with these artists and writers: